Political will to advance biogas for mobility
A round table discussion with MEP Heidi Hautala
Webinar on 12.11 at 08:30-10:00 on GoToWebinar
- MEP Heidi Hautala
- Nordic biogas associations: Suomen Biokierto ja Biokaasu ry, Energigas Sverige, Biogas Danmark, Energigass Norge
Despite all current efforts from the EU, transport is the only sector which is not decarbonizing and even shows an increase in GHG emissions on a yearly basis since 2014. The need for further actions to reduce emissions in the transport sector must be addressed without delay.
Increasing the use of biogas as a transport fuel is one of the quickest and most cost-effective ways of reducing greenhouse gas emissions from transport. However, the current EU regulations are not technology-neutral and hamper the development of renewable alternative fuels.
This webinar will discuss the options how European legislation could better support the uptake of biomethane as a transport fuel. The study ‘Crediting System for Renewable Fuels in EU Emissions Standards for Road Transport’ produced by Frontier Economics for the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy will be also presented.
Join the debate!
- Moderator: Susanna Pflüger, Secretary General of EBA
- Introduction and setting the scene by Susanna Pflüger, EBA
- Welcome words by MEP Hautala
- Panel discussion
- European Commission (DG Clima)
- Michael Zähringer, Frontier Economics
- Harmen Dekker, EBA Director
- Maria Malmkvist, CEO of Energigas Sverige (representing the coalition of the Nordic Biogas Associations)
- Andrea Gerini, Secretary General of NGVA Europe
- Copa-Cogeca (tbc)
- Reactions from MEPs
- Asger Christensen (DK/Renew)
- Jakob Dalunde (SE/Greens)
- Nicolás González Casares (ES/S&D)
- Morten Helveg Petersen (DK/Renew)
- Nils Torvalds (FI/Renew)
- Henna Virkkunen (FI/EPP)
- Concluding words by MEP Hautala